There are lots of thing you can do to get involved. Here are some ideas to get you started.
• Talk to your employees about their development needs and career aspirations.
• Run a couple of events where you can share with your team what development is available and how to access it.
• Run lunch and learn sessions. These are short sessions (20 minutes – 40 minutes) on various topics to support your business.
• Run workshops, various durations on various topics.
• Ask members of your team to deliver some lunch and learns/workshops. This is a great opportunity for them to gain some experience in presenting and public speaking.
• Put on a mix of work-related and non-work related activities designed to engage and inspire all employees to learn.
• Design activities where colleagues meet each other from different parts of the business e.g. market places, skill swaps, job shadowing.
• Devise some quizzes or run competitions about the business, encouraging cross team engagement.
• Ask individuals to share how they have developed and grown within the company.
• Engage senior managers in activities that promote and embody the value the organisation attaches to learning.
• Develop manager’s skills in supporting a culture of learning in their teams.
• Ask the Chairman/MD to share their story to inspire and motivate the team.
• Set challenges to learn about your industry with a prize for the best entry.
• Share Adult Education offerings in the area.
• Contact Pro-Development for help and support.
• Attend the free ‘Discover York, Discover Coaching’ session on the 19th May 2015 in York City Centre. If you can’t attend this 1pm session, there are 2 other sessions at 2.30pm and 4.00pm or alternatively, have a look at the variety of free events running for International coaching week organised through Coaching York.
If you are interested in taking part in Learning at Work Week and would like some support in getting started, you can also go to the Get Started section of the Campaign for Learning website where you can register online to access planning materials and resources and you’ll receive their regular newsletters with special offers and updates.