Just a few days ago, leaders on our Management Development Programme missed some subtle messages which would have made a difference on their actions and choices made. So why did they miss the messages? It was because they didn’t give their full attention. We often talk about one of the key factors of being an Authentic Leader is to become a sensor. The ability of managers to consider what they hear, see and feel?
To do this, you need to hone your ability to be present, but that is easily said. How do you do this in practice? Learning to live in the present is one of the key elements of positive mindfulness.
Just stop for a moment and give your full attention to what is happening in the present moment.
A Challenge for you – do it right now, right this minute. What do you notice? How do you feel? What can you see?
Tips to be more present
• Consider what’s happening in your body – are you hunched up? Do you feel achy? Are you tired or full of energy?
• Consider your breathing – are you having short shallow breaths or full and deep breathing?
• What is your current state of mind, positive or negative? If it is negative, try and turn those negative thoughts into positive ones.
• Spend time in the outdoors, it’s good for your state of mind!
• Listen, really listen and do this without making judgments.
• Recognise your thoughts but don’t react to them immediately, contemplate them first.
• Take some time out and simply be (don’t worry, the report that needs writing or the washing up will wait for you!)
• Turn off that mobile phone, switch off any devices and live outside of the social media world, just for a short while at least!
Trackback from your site.