Having undertaken numerous employee engagement surveys in businesses of different shapes and sizes, we are beginning to build up a picture of how local companies are finding different and innovative ways to recognise and reward their employees.
We have known for many years that money is a short-term motivator, plus many of the businesses we work with are not in a position to hand out large bonuses and pay rises. However, they are exploring new and different ways to help people feel valued.
Here are a few ways some of our clients are rewarding their teams:
• Having your birthday off
• Buying pizza once a week
• Buying sandwiches on a Friday or (food has featured quite heavily)
• Working from home
• More flexible working
• A move away from set hours
• Able to bring your dog to work
• Provided a seating area to work outside
• Setting up a fun committee with an agreed budget
• An indoor recreational area for relaxing or having lunch
• Having study time
• Gift voucher
The key is to note that not one size fits all. Businesses who are investing the time getting to know their people have a clearer understanding of what will make individuals feel more valued. Here’s an example:
Someone on slimming world or weight watchers would not necessarily feel recognised by being gifted free Pizza, but they may well appreciate being able to leave earlier on a Tuesday to get to a slimming class.
It seems simple but its effective! Each business is different, and you will have you own limitations as to what is feasible, but why not spend some time thinking creatively to see if there is anything you may be able to do that would make a difference to your people.
• Do you know how valued your employees feel?
• Do you understand what would help them to feel more valued and recognised at work?
• How effective are your current reward and recognition strategies?
Our Employee Engagement survey can provide a measure of how valued and recognised your people are, alongside insights into what’s working for them, and what’s not as effective. If you would like to find out more, click here or contact us on 01904 628838